Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Spice of Life

     I was challenged a few years ago reading Sergei Bongart's book.  He said "There is no such thing as bad subject matter, only inadequate artist."
     I used to spend hours driving around looking for a good scene to paint.  Often much more time driving than painting.  Sometimes even returning home to paint in the studio after long uninspired drives.  Challenged by Sergie's quote,  I wanted to be anything but inadequate.  I began carrying my paints with me everywhere I went, forcing myself to search out subject matter wherever I was.  My own backyard and those of friends and relatives became fodder for my creative pursuit.  My eyes were opened to the possibilities that abound around us painters no matter where we are. Painting from life is essential for artistic growth.  And being inspired by everything around adds so much joy, awe, and appreciation for God's creation.
     Here's a little study I did of a pepper shaker found in my kitchen.  I love pepper and over do it in all of my cooking.  While making spaghetti one night, I was shaking my pepper into the sauce and caught a glimmer of light on the shaker out of the corner of my eye.  That was all it took.
"A Little Spice" 5x7 $200 

Two day workshop: July 8-9  In the Studio at www.tafaa.org
Two week plein air workshop Aug 4-18 in the Burgundy Region of France: www.labonneetoile.com

Going to be in Charleston SC painting with PAPSE this week May 30 - June 1.  Come by and see us.

4 comments:

  1. Well, Jim, now I understand your reticence in starting a blog (too time conuming!) - you love to write, too, and are a good writer! I love it that you write about what you paint! Love the story behind the 'shaker', and I like to think that Sargent, too, was good at finding good things to paint by being good at painting whatever was nearby! Apparently when he and friends went on painting excursions he'd just plunk down wherever.. and not roam all over searching for the 'perfect' spot. He made HIS spot 'perfect'. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Kelley. I see you know exactly what I mean. Happy painting.

      Delete
  2. Sweet little painting that you just nailed- Love everything about it as always! Great post- I am enjoying your blog posts because I can just hear you telling us that in our mentor classes and it reminds me of how much I have learned and how lucky I am!
    Bonus that Kelley Mac know gets to know you a bit too along with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks K.C. Look forward to sseeing you at the lake.

    ReplyDelete