Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Majestic Dunes

 I've decide to do an, at least, weekly blog due to the many requests I've had to start one.  My Idea is to post ideas, insights , and musings from my life as an artist.  I teach regularly at my school in Atlanta, The Atlanta Fine Arts Academy, and host workshops around the country and in Europe.  I feel led to teach and enjoy it as much as painting.  It is my hope that this blog will be of use to many of you in your artistic pursuits.

I will also post a plein air painting every week that I will offer for sale here. I typically hold onto them for future reference and they rarely make it into galleries.  They are my little babies.                           
"Majestic Dunes" 11x14 $600 

I parked my car and loaded up.  I began hiking towards the sound of the ocean.  It was a cool still morning with no one around.  Great day for painting.  As I rounded a turn on the trail, I came face to face with the most beautiful sand dunes I've ever seen.  Untouched by man, these dunes reached up three or more stories to the heavens.  I had to paint them.   Demo below.





This is a painting I did last week in Florida.  St Joseph State Park.  Incredible sand dunes 30 plus feet high.

I started with a warm wash, then laid in the design.
This was a ready made composition.  Usually I have to move things around a bit for better line and movement.  Such a blessing when this happens.  The paintings seem to paint themselves.      







Next I blocked in the sky.  I wanted to catch the
small cloud pattern before it blew away.  I also thought the sky would break open and wanted to catch the grayness before it did.  One thing I do en Plein Air, is to try and predict the things that will change the quickest and get them down.                                          



Here I put in clean color notes of the sand, looking for varieties in temperature.  I also started to block in more accurate shadow colors and the ocean background.







Now I start pulling things together.  I look for value shifts within masses to create form.  Big shapes and little shapes.  I begin to slow down a bit and consider what's necessary and what is not.  Refining the whole and trying not to fall in love with any one spot.


Here is the finished painting. The edges are merged, some soft, some sharp, many in between.  I do little bits of dry-brushing and calligraphy to give it more life.  Then I take a five minute break.  I come back with fresh eyes and make any refinements necessary  before packing up.

6 comments:

  1. You made me smile! Congrats on starting a blog- will be great for you to share with others. Love this painting! Great job on your first post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! So glad you are blogging now! I loved seeing this painting in person and meeting you in Apalach! You are not only a fabulous artist, but a kind gentleman too, which makes me like your work even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Kathy would be the first commenter and would have bet money on it! Nice blog, Jim, nice painting - hope to see you around the blogsphere! You'll be glad you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, feels like I just watched a demo. You have a gift for teaching/ explaining. Thanks for sharing with the blog-world. Also I should mention- Great painting, inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, I really enjoy reading about your process here. Thanks for sharing your insights! And the best part of all...I got to see this gorgeous painting in person in the Apalachicola Cultural Center's wet room! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Lesson, Thanks for the time and effort to do this. I am inspired to get out and paint.

    ReplyDelete